The Poets first appears in 1999 as a gift from Ruark Lewis.The Poets conveys some of the feeling of The Banalities project which was formed from lines drawn from the daily paper's cryptic crossword. Images from The Banalaties performaces appear here in an exerpt form.
Shooting unbecoming was never a project of deliberate or consistent focus. It was first made it's appearance as slides or images in support of a collaboration with Ruark Lewis.
1.Our photographers adopt ancient poses that to the viewer appear as a sign of each sitters chosen way in life.
2. We entertain our own true character as the part of the mask of one's signature
3. tass holds the book like a shelf extending from his heart
4. There is no degree of disquiesement that will remove the inherent character or movement from the body. It's hard to say exactly where it comes from, as difficult as to know where the pose will lead to. Like a caste, or shadow,or a mirror it's that edge that we forget in the accounting. Both it's the beginning and it's end are trapped in the gaze of his eyes.
5. Mute is their image long after they are dead.
6. These two things tug against one and anothere: the corporeal and the quote.
7. His life and his death. His face and his hands.
8. And who's pose was it in the first place and what did it mean ?
9. Poor yellow cow on a cobalt ground, are you dumb or what !
10. Even the digits....even the digits of type conduct a guestural equivalence that we understand in immediate terms as characters.
11. People pose like poets... who do poets think they are ?
Ruark Lewis 1999